Tuesday 14 May 2013

St. Jean to Ronscevalles and on to Burgette

I have a wonderful breakfast this morning.  I even ate cereal with milk.  I never have milk ever but my son Thomas warned me to eat properly so that I have the energy to do this.  Just to let you know, I´m listening to you my little Buddy.  A gentleman across from me goes outside and comes back in to let me know that it´s cold out there this morning.  He is riding a bike along the Camino and hopes to get to Pamplona today.  I won´t be there for three days.  I wish him Buon Camino and he does the same for me.  I head up to my room to grab my backpack and head out.  Wish me luck!!!  The walk was 18 km straight up to 1400 meters.  It was long and tedious and I got to about the 17 km mark and I had to sit down in the grass and cry.  I thought I would be able to find a place to eat along the way and I didn´t and I am running out of water.  I´m cold and hungry and I have no energy to keep going and I´ve seen the next hill and I´m drained.  Somehow I manage to get my butt up and start moving again.  The down slope is just as hard as the up hill.  But I have done it and I get to Ronscevalles only to find there are no more rooms so now after walking for 25 km. I have to walk an extra three into the next town to find a room.  I stop for a glass of wine and pasta.  I have a meltdown on the phone with you but as always you make me feel better.  I end up in Burgette and find a room.  It´s three oclock in the afternoon and Í don´t get out of bed until seven the next morning.  I´m so drained, emotionally and physically.  I did see some beautiful things along the way, it wasn´t all bad.  The scenery that far up the mountain was incredible and breathtaking.  Because I was so high up I was surrounded by snow.  I didn´t bring clothes for snow.  There were all of these beautiful wildflowers growing all around in the fields and the stones I had to step on the way up were a gorgeous blue colour.   Near the top of the mountain I pass cows and horses grazing.  They are all wearing cowbells.  Yes the horses were too.  I take a picture of a horse and I swear he´s posing for me.  I start to walk away and he comes up to me and makes me scratch his ears.  I guess he wanted payment for his pose.  I am always so lucky with animals.  I am very blessed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment