Tuesday 28 May 2013

Pamplona to Puente la Reina

It's cloudy as I leave Pamplona and very cold.  It doesn't take me very long before I meet up with Jan.  She is from Florida and we walk and talk for about half an hour.  Very interesting person.  She tells me that everyone finds some kind of romance on the Camino and told me about her plane ride over here.  I just smiled.  Jan has to stop so I continue on.  It starts to rain a bit and I'm happy for the coolness on my face as I am part way up the first hill.  I get into a little town and I have to get my rain jacket out.  Now for the next hill.  The rain has made huge mud puddles and not just any kind of mud but Gumbo as my mom would say.  It's the kind of mud that almost sucks the shoes right off of my feel and its slippery and you end up with so much on you shoes that you feel like you feet weigh an extra 20 pounds.  You can only scrape this kind of mud off.  Yuck.  I finally reach the top of the hill and its a huge long line of wind turbines all across the top of the mountain.  Very windy and noisy but beautiful just the same.  The downhill slope is not muddy, thank goodness, just rocky and steep.  I get to another town and find a little place to get a piece of chocolate torte and a glass of wine.  It's so cold out right now and the wine warms me from the inside.  I talk to a few people and met a man on crutches who is still walking the Camino.  There is also an old man walking here with his donkey.  The funny things you see along this path.  I reach Puente la Reina and find a bed.  I shower to try to warm up and grab a sandwich and a glass of wine in the restaurant.  I meet some other people and I end up having dinner with them.  For the first time on this journey, I have had a nourishing dinner and I am actually full.  I am just shocked at how emotional I am right now .  I head to bed.  I cry for a bit and fall asleep.  I get up and shower, find some breakfast and I have time to write for a bit before leaving for Estella.  It's a beautiful morning out there but cold.

No comments:

Post a Comment